LIRR Has a New Home in Brooklyn

Atlantic Terminal

Brooklyn's historic transit hub at Atlantic and Flatbush Avenues has a new home with the opening of the Atlantic Terminal Pavilion on January 5.

The new facility serves approximately 25,500 MTA Long Island Rail Road customers each day as well as approximately 32,000 NYC Transit subway customers. LIRR customers can transfer to ten subway lines as well as five bus routes.

"This new terminal means improved interconnectivity between the LIRR and New York City Transit's subways and buses – with better information and a more spacious, comfortable and accessible facility," said Jay H. Walder, Chairman and CEO of the MTA.

The three-story limestone, granite and glass structure features a soaring atrium that allows natural light to reach the below ground LIRR concourse and subway station. Two sweeping staircases provide direct access from the street to the concourse below. The arced vessel shaped exterior restores a "civic presence" to the Flatbush Avenue site and the Terminal is linked internally to an office building and retail complex.

The new Pavilion includes a new ticket office, public rest rooms, grand stairs, customer waiting area, police and employee facilities, granite floor tiles, artwork from the Arts for Transit program, improved information signage, lighting and a new HVAC system. Customers have access to the Entry Pavilion from 5 AM to 10 PM and the Atlantic Terminal Ticket Office is open from 6 AM to 10 PM. Train service to the terminal, ticket machines and the elevator are available 24/7.

Work on the project, begun in 2002, was done in two phases in order to coordinate improvements with MTA New York City Transit work on their subway facilities and a private developer, Forest City Ratner.

The $108.1 million project was funded by the Federal Transit Administration and the MTA Long Island Rail Road Capital Program.

LIRR service between Jamaica and Brooklyn dates back to the earliest days of the railroad in the 1830's. The earlier LIRR Brooklyn terminal building, located at approximately the location of the present structure, opened in 1907 as part of the Atlantic Avenue Improvement Project. That project also included construction of two tunnels and two elevated sections with electrified tracks for the LIRR between Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn and Jamaica.