It's a Wrap: MTA Plays Key Role in NYC ING Marathon

The MTA would like to congratulate all participants in this year's ING NYC Marathon. After running 26.2 miles, we know how you feel. It's been a long couple of days prepping and cleaning up after the race.

After the marathon, the MTA kicks into full gear in order to resume normal operations. As soon as the last runner left the bridge, volunteers armed with shovels and garbage bags, NYC Sanitation workers using front-end loaders, and maintenance workers from the Verrazano immediately began scooping up discarded warm-up jackets and pants, water bottles, towels and other debris left behind by the runners. Last year, about 40,000 pounds of clothes were picked up and donated to charities by the New York Road Runners Club.

After the concrete barriers, guiderails, cones and delineators -; removed for the race -; are all back in place, the bridge reopened to traffic around 3 p.m.

Prior to the race, Verrazano-Narrows workers worked hard to smooth roadway surfaces, clean roadway debris and fill in errant potholes to make sure it was smooth sailing for the more than 47,000 runners that crossed the bridge at the start of the race.

The general manager and his team of supervisors, managers and Operations personnel worked tirelessly in the days leading up to the race fixing broken roadway delineators, cleaning roadway drainage areas, readying electronic message signs, painting start lines, hanging sound systems and temporarily removing guiderails near the toll plaza to give runners easier access from the staging area.

The bulk of the work began the night before when the upper level of the bridge closed at 11 p.m. so maintenance crews could cover the bridge's finger joints, which are metal, intertwined joints that allow the bridge's roadway decks to expand in summer months and contract in winter.

On Sunday, Bridges and Tunnels' Special Operations personnel, along with crews from the Verrazano, set up checkpoints, reconfigured toll plaza lanes so traffic could get across before the bridge closed for the race, and helped race officials set up the toll plaza for the opening ceremony.